Sunday 21 July 2013

Original Sprout: Shampoo and Conditioner review

Original Sprout's Tahitian Family Collection

The problem with trying out new shampoos is that, if you get it wrong, you look like a scarecrow. Not so with Original Sprout. My hair has never been as glossy nor as healthy looking.

I had been using the John Frieda range for coloured hair. Perfectly suitable, but my hair always felt a little fly-away, and it was difficult to style. Certainly it was difficult to run a brush through it, even after using the John Frieda conditioner.

So it was with great delight that, after two days of trialling the Original Sprout range, my hairbrush glided smoothly through my hair and it felt light, soft and controllable. I kid you not when I say this was an entirely new experience for me!

 

About Original Sprout

Inge Tritt founded the company after struggling to find suitable hair and skin products for her baby's bath time.

"Our founder delighted in her newborn daughter's thick hair. Wanting to use the safest bath products led to her trying natural baby shampoos. To her surprise, all the shampoos wreaked havoc to her daughter's hair and sensitive skin. To remedy the problem Inga created the first of it's kind, ultra moisturizing natural baby bath & styling products. The benefits of being a master stylist with professional experience & a mother with real life experience culminated into Original Sprout, a globally trusted natural family brand."

Original Sprout (www.originalsprout.com) is a family-run company based in San Luis Obispo, California. Founded by mother and master stylist, Inga Tritt, the company provides family friendly, natural hair and skin care products for babies and adults.

The products are sold worldwide and include ultra-moisturising shampoos, conditioners, styling products, lotions, and sun cream.

 

What they say

I sampled the Island Bliss Shampoo and the Luscious Island Conditioner, both part of Original Sprout's new Tahitian range and, since Original Sprout's strap line is "worry-free" they are vegan, natural and organic. Click here to open a new window with details of the Original Sprout Island Bliss Shampoo ingredients, and click here for a new window with details of the Original Sprout Luscious Island Conditioner.

About the Island Bliss Shampoo; "Unlike other sulphate free shampoos that can weigh hair down, our brilliant formula delivers touchable, smooth volume that lasts all day. Keeps colour fresh without sulphates and makes hair stronger with vegan protein. Our delicious island aroma sweeps us away for our daily island escape. Enjoy!

On the Luscious Island Conditioner; "Enjoy our new, ultra rich conditioner that instantly transforms the most dry, damaged hair into silky, soft healthy locks; with tropical Mongongo Oil known for it's healing, regenerative powers and vegan jojoba protein to rebuild and strengthen. Hair color stays fresh with our color keeping pH of 4.5-5.5. Our must have conditioner smells naturally delicious inspired by tropical breezes of an island escape. Enjoy your daily escape with Original Sprout! A must have for all hair types."

 

What do I say?

These are two great products that absolutely work on my hair. I have never found it so easy to style my hair. It is smooth after blow drying, and the need for straightening is almost eliminated.

Some people may find that the shampoo doesn't lather up enough for their liking. It's quite a thick consistency. So I double checked with my retired hairdresser mother and confirmed that the amount of lather doesn't make any difference. It's a myth that lather equals better. So try it and find out for yourself.

 

What did a retired hairdresser think?

My mum was keen to try these two out. She has both coloured and permed hair, and so the conditioner needed to be really good to meet the challenge. "It's OK, and did the job better than many other conditioners; but because my hair is both permed and coloured I usually use a rich intense conditioner. This conditioner couldn't quite provide the same results for my hair."

As for the shampoo, she agreed that the lack of lather may put people of unnecessarily. But she did say that; "if you add more water to the product before use, it lathers better." Interesting observation, and having tried this I can confirm that it does indeed work. But I have no problem with less lather anyway, so I probably won't keep doing that.

As for the product itself, she confirmed that it smelt gorgeous and did the job well.

 

How much does it cost?

This range is not going to be a cheap option. An 8 oz (236ml) container will set you back $19.99 (approximately £13.10). Compare this to my usual John Frieda Full Repair Shampoo at £5.89 for 250ml and you can see that this is not, at all, cheap stuff.

Honestly though, you can tell the difference.

Would I spend this on a regular permanent basis? I probably shouldn't, and probably can't really afford to, but I am sorely tempted.

 

And to conclude?

A great range that has my hair feeling soft and manageable for the first time in years. I shall be ordering more once I run out and hiding the bill (obviously).

 

Watch out for my review of Original Sprout's Miracle Detangler (great for kids!) coming soon.
Please note that I did indeed receive the products reviewed above for free. This is no way effects my review of them which, as always, is honest and entirely my own view.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Share with StumbleUpon

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...